Sunday, March 8, 2009

Stop me if you've heard this before

Wow.
March already?
Our first-term exams have already begun, and the days seem to just whizz by faster and faster.
Before you know it we'll be out of school and off to our tertiary studies.
Desmond keeps reminding me that this is our last year in school.
But somehow it doesn't really feel like it.
It doesn't feel like its the last year where you and all of your friends will all be together for the last time.
It doesn't feel like its the last year you can joke around in class with your mates.
It doesn't feel like its the last year you have to enjoy canteen food (I'm not saying everything's good)
It doesn't feel like its the last year to do something,
anything,
to say, "I did not waste 11 years of my life in school."
The last year to make a difference.
I never really got used to the idea of waking up at 5.45 in the morning to go to a place where older people just seem to be pissed off with you all the time.
Where the toilets stink to high heaven almost constantly,
where some of the teachers are just plain pricks,
where the homework just perpetually comes,
where you have to sit down the whole day listening to the teacher in the front,
and having only a 20-minute break.

someone once said, "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Somehow this year feels different.
I'm not making much of a difference in my school, but the school has made a heck of a lot of a difference in me.
I guess one of the main reason's I'm going to miss school isn't really the homework,
or the seemingly endless lessons,
the long-winded lectures and what not.
Its the people.
Teachers, classmates, everyone.

If you really think about it for a second,
a church isn't just limited to a building.
The church is also the people in the building.

In the same way,
a school isn't just limited to a bunch of buildings in a plot of land.
Imagine what school would be like with out teachers and students.
Nothing but a bunch of empty buildings in a plot of land.

All of us define what school's really about.
Everything we do in school defines what its really about.
No Sekolah Harapan Negara, or whatever award of the highest recommendation can ever define what a school is about.
And you define how your experience in school is going to be about.
Like an old man ponders about how he's lived his life when he nears his end,
I ponder about how I've lived my school life now that its nearing its end.

I'm going to miss three things from this school.
Everything that its about,
My friends,
and especially,
you.

No comments: