Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chinese New Year. FINALLY

 

First and foremost, to those of you whom I didn’t say this to you *even though its so damn late* HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!!!!!

Now that that’s outta the way, let’s get on to the eve of Chinese New Year.IMG_2515 We had a reunion dinner of sorts la at home, with some family friends because most of my dad’s side of the family is scattered around the world. Moving on, a reunion dinner, with or without the whole family, wouldn’t be complete without Yee Sang would it?IMG_2522IMG_2526IMG_2533 IMG_2544 IMG_2551Mom made pork ribs. awesome. IMG_2552Don’t know what it was, but I didn’t take any. =D IMG_2553Roast duck. Even more awesome than pork ribs. IMG_2554Your basic chinese veggies IMG_2555And prawns.IMG_2550RUFFLES!!!!

Dinner was so-so la. Missed having talking to some of my aunties and my uncle.

Now, on to the first day of Chinese New Year:IMG_2556 The first day always, and I mean ALWAYS begins with the serving of tea to our parents. This year was a little different though, what with Ah Ma *Grandma la for those of you who have no idea who I’m talking about* staying over for the first day.IMG_2557Ask most kids nowadays what Chinese New Year means to them, and you’ll probably get the same answer from most of them. =D IMG_2558 After we were done with serving tea to our elders, we headed out to my mom’s first brother’s houseIMG_2572The house was pretty crowded considering the fact that most of my mom’s siblings’ families were there. I have so many cousins who are older than me, up to the point I sometimes can’t tell whether they’re my aunties and uncles or not. But nevertheless, there is one thing me and my brothers always look forward to:IMG_2577KFC!!!!!!

In case you’re wondering, my cousin’s a manager at one of their outlets, so every year during Chinese New Year, for as long as I can remember, there would always be KFC there for us. Such a happy thought no? IMG_2582Priscilla, my cousin, popped in for a bit along with Jessie, my cousin-in-lawIMG_2584Oh and that’s my aunty Susan there on the left. I wonder if my mom liked to eat KFC when she was pregnant with me…. IMG_2586   Jessie was pretty hungry so you can imagine la…plus she’s eating for two. =D I’M GOING TO BE AN UNCLE! Well technically I already am to a few la but I’M GOING TO BE AN UNCLE!!!!IMG_2588IMG_2590The house was pretty cramped, considering the amount of people pouring into it, but most of us didn’t mind la, I mean, we only see each other once or twice a year.  IMG_2580Aunty Susan told me to take a family photo for her == First one was a fail. IMG_2581Better =D IMG_2595IMG_2596IMG_2597IMG_2599I honestly tried my best to remember most of my relatives’ names, but there’s just so many of them, and plus they live so far off that we hardly see each other. It kinda sucks though, I do have a some interesting family members.IMG_2600Dad was deep in conversation with Joel about who knows what  IMG_2603Couldn’t really connect much with most of our relatives inside the house, so we resorted to just chilling outside the house instead. As you can see, one of my uncles in the background getting fresh air along with a few other uncles, were basically doing the same thing as us la. IMG_2615I really wish I didn’t cut my hair during CNY. IMG_2604Lol daniel. Anyway, here are a few more photos from the first visit: IMG_2605IMG_2606IMG_2611IMG_2613LOL uncle Ming and my nephew   

After spending about an hour and a half there, we headed over to my late grannie’s brother’s house. Even though I don’t really remember where the house is, I’ll always remember it for its sorta unforgettable mini-zoo.IMG_2618 IMG_2619IMG_2622The place hasn’t changed much over the years….but there have been a few new additions to the mini-zoo la…like for instance a few new birds *truth be told I’ve forgotten what animals used to be there, apparently a long time ago they kept a tiger cub there o.o*

IMG_2623IMG_2626Dam borh songg the birds, cos they kept moving around pretty fast, preventing me from getting a good shot. So I took pics of the decor on their cages instead IMG_2627IMG_2630Oooh, and they had an aquarium full of goldfish inside:IMG_2655IMG_2660It wasn’t until Yihling C. told me about this photo that I realised there was something weird about. Just have a closer look la. =DIMG_2663IMG_2695        That’s my granduncle right there. Judging from the look on his face, I think he’s just as confused about who’s who in the family as much as I am.IMG_2665KUIH KAPIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!

One of my nieces just wouldn’t let me take a random shot of her, much less smile for the camera:IMG_2679IMG_2685After several failed attempts, I finally got herIMG_2690    Well, sorta.

After granduncle’s house, we headed over to an old family friend’s house, Aunty Wai Kin. We’ve basically been going there every CNY and we always look forward to seeing her two large Golden Retrievers.IMG_2697Yea, the place is pretty big as you can see, so since it was CNY anyway, I’m guessing they used the garden as a car park IMG_2698 KUM!!!! I have plenty at home that are going to rot if no one bothers to eat them…so if there are any takes, you know who to call =D

IMG_2700Instead of your typical Chinese food which would be noodles, fried rice, spring rolls and veggies and stuff, they had something different this time round:IMG_2704 Oh. IMG_2705 Yeah.

This has got to be some of the best chapati I’ve eaten hands down. This guy’s stall is somewhere near SK Sri Damai should any of you know where that is, behind the school somewhere in all those shoplots.IMG_2706IMG_2722They also had some awesome briyaniIMG_2725Awesome dhal curry,IMG_2727Awesome chicken curry,IMG_2733       AND AWESOME CHICKEN RENDANG. Dammit, everything was awesome la.IMG_2731Check out the chutney they were serving with the chapatiIMG_2730  But of course, you can’t have all this Indian food, especially during that season, without:IMG_2729 Need I say more?

IMG_2717Lunch was just plain awesome la. After eating, me, Brian and Basil walked around for a bit looking for aunty Wai Kin’s dogs. Sadly, we were told one of them had to be put down recently because of various illnesses and old age. Damn sad la, every CNY I used to see the both of them. So the only dog left was Caesar IMG_2740IMG_2743There’s just something so comforting about big dogs, no?

One of aunty Wai Kin’s granddaughters offered me some jellybeans, and something made me take this shotIMG_2745    What does this remind you of? Chen, you already know laIMG_2747Maybe its because we missed church that day, I dunno, but it was BLAZING HOT for some apparent reason.

Despite the heat, mom still insisted on a family/group photo. No tripod. NEVERMIND TAKE ONLY. lolIMG_2749lol oldest bro damn stone ==IMG_2754It took some effort, getting everyone into the frame, but I guess it turned out okayIMG_2758Except for the way Basil looks la.IMG_2761One nice Italian uncle helped me take the photo. Yea I forgot the kid’s name but he was heavy. =P

The girls wanted a group photo too:IMG_2766So that’s about it for the first part, more to come soon =D

I’ll leave you guys with one of the last shots I took of the afternoon:IMG_2763Take care readers, and until next time,

Au Revoir      

No comments: